Minutes of the 2019 AGM

<span class ="tr_" id="tr_2" data-source="" data-orig="Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held in the Crispin Community Centre">Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held in the Crispin Community Centre</span>

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held in the Crispin Community Centre

on Wednesday 23 rd Oktober 2019. Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.

 

 

1.       Present: David and Veronica Brunt, Tom Winn, Marina Richards, Paul Badman, Jacqui, Francis, Isobel and Emily Knight, Claire Axten, David and Catherine Atkins, Trevor Skinner, Barbara and Martin Cowell, Julia Welch, Kay Strain, Gabbie and Martyn Butler, Ann Diment, Peter and Barbara Fry, Reg Alford, Sally Holz, John and Maureen Parfitt, Gill Davey, Brian Read, Sheila Urwin, Viv Squire, Sue Genge, David and Hilary Mozley.

 

Apologies: Kay Winn, Pauline and John Saunders, Grace and Bernard Squire, Chris Puddy, Helen and Tim Phillips, Avril and William Berry, Mark and Jenny Lewis, Katrina Dumontrotty

 

David Brunt welcomed everyone to the meeting and checked that everyone had read the minutes from the AGM in Oct 2018.

No matters arising.

 

2.      Chairman’s report: Please see report attached below.

 

3.      Treasurers Report and presentation and acceptance of the annual accounts:

Marina presented the accounts for the financial year to 31st Aug 2019, as checked by the accountant. The accounts were accepted unanimously by all members.

 

Please see accounts attached below.

 

Current account balance £3,780.70

Deposit account balance £8,047.50

A reminder that membership payments are now due. £15 per adult and free for children under 18. As stated in the constitution these payments are due to be paid within 2 calendar months of the date of the AGM.

 

We then moved onto item 5 on the Agenda before coming back to item 4.

 

4.      The proposed new constitution:

 

In addition to the revisions already circulated to members Catherine Atkins proposed that a paragraph was to be inserted under item 7 - Money and Assets – after d) Cheques must be signed by 2 authorised members. New e) The treasurer is authorised to undertake internet banking on behalf of the Association. All payments must be notified to the chairman and secretary by e-mail prior to the actual payment.

 

There were a few questions from members:

 

1.       Would this hold up payments? No, Marina doesn’t need to wait for a reply it is just a notification of what payments are going out.

2.       Is Marina happy to do this? Yes

3.       As with cheque payments, should there be two people from the committee with access to the bank account in case Marina is not available? Marina stated that this is not possible. It is linked to her personal accounts and so cannot have more than one person access it. Marina stated that there is a contingency plan set up in case anything was to happen to her, Paul (her partner) would have access to the account and arrangements would then be made for access to be passed to the next treasurer.

 

David Atkins thanked the team who had reviewed the constitution – Tom, Marina and Catherine.

 

The new constitution was voted on by a show of hands and the vote was unanimous for it to be put in place. Please find attached the updated version.

 

5.      Voting to elect the chairman:

 

The nominations for chairman were received by the deadline of 9th October.

 

David Atkins for Chairman

 

David Atkins left the room whilst the vote took place by a show of hands. The vote was unanimous for David to become the new chairman.

 

David Brunt then gave a speech as he stood down as chairman:

 

Veronica and I first joined the Twinning Association and went to Gravenchon in 1994. I was invited to join the committee the following year. For some years I was the assistant to the treasurer. This usually meant that I collected the ticket money at our fund raising events. After several years I stood down from the committee as I had other interests.

The following year I had a phone call from Grace asking me to re-join the committee and take on the job of treasurer. I continued in this position until Marina took over from me.

Bernard our previous chairman retired two years ago and I was elected to replace him. During those two years I have been supported by a dedicated team who have worked hard to promote the best interests of our association.

I now think that the time has come for me to stand down from the committee and allow them to continue the good work under new leadership.

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like you join me in thanking your committee for all their hard work and dedication and to welcome David, your newly elected chairman.

 

David Brunt then presented David Atkins with the chain of office. David Atkins thanked David and Veronica for all their hard work over the years. Jacqui presented David Brunt with a gardening gift voucher from the committee and a thank you card signed by the committee and members of the association.

 

 

6.      Voting to elect Vice Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary:

 

The following nominations were received by the deadline of 9th Oktober.

 

Tom Winn for Vice Chairman

Marina Richards for treasurer

Jacqui Knight for secretary

 

Candidates were asked to leave the room and the vote taken by a show of hands. The votes were unanimous for all three to be elected.

 

David Atkins then gave a speech as the new Chairman:

 

Thank you for entrusting me with the chair of the Street Twinning Association. Whilst a relative newcomer I have had the experience of twinning for 25years with another organisation of which I am a member.

Twinning is a great opportunity to learn a little about other cultures/countries and to share experiences. Perhaps its role is more important than ever as we live in an international environment and need more and more to be tolerant of others.

As chairman I will have a simple approach and in no way suggest this has not been the case in the past but is just the way I operate:

To be inclusive

To be respectful

To be loyal

To inject energy

To enjoy myself

 

We have an obligation to grow the Association, especially after a number of long serving members have “retired”, and to make it fit for the next generation. So I will be looking for members to help us search out families who might like to experience twinning.

At the first committee meeting I will be sharing some thoughts and asking questions as to how we can work a bit “smarter”. I feel we need to spread the load a little more across members and to get more clarity and ownership of tasks to make life easier and less onerous.

 

7.      Members invited to volunteer to serve on the management committee with a target of at least 10 members:

 

David Atkins gave a brief outline of what the role of a committee member entails including that they help to run the association and meet up ten times a year, not including the AGM.

Members volunteering to serve on the committee for the coming year are:

 

Kay Strain, Francis Knight, Catherine Atkins, Barbara Fry, Peter Fry, Käfige Butler, Trevor Skinner, Paul Badman, Sally Wood and Claire Axten

 

Barbara Cowell and Katrina Dumontrotty are stepping down from the committee. The Chairman thanked them for all they have done for Street Twinning over the years.

 

8.      Lotterie:

 

£20 no. 15 Veronica Brunt

£10 no. 32 Helen Phillips

£5 no. 30 Claire Brunt

 

Tom Winn is happy to run the lottery for another year and David thanked Tom for taking on this role again.

Marina stated that if anyone would like to be paid by BACS for lottery winnings, please contact her for this to be arranged.

 

9.      AOB:

 

1.       Isny visit: Please leave plenty of time for travel. There are road works/traffic lights in Coxley and Walton will be closed. Also closures in Wedmore.

 

2.       Gravenchon visit: A recent email was sent out with further information about costs. There are still spaces available and there maybe the facility to add more once it is booked.

 

3.       Bric-a-brac: Street Market Thurs 7thNov. Tom has kindly arranged this. Members were asked if anyone had any bric a brac for the stall and there was a good show of hands and so we will have plenty of items. Francis offered to help set up the stall at 8am ready for the stall to open at 9am. Usually the market goes on until 4pm. Peter offered to help at the end of the day to pack away. Barbara Fry said people are welcome to drop off items at their house but not until Monday 4th November. An email will follow shortly and a rota will be sent out. Members that volunteered: Claire Axten, Sally Holz (afternoon), Trevor Skinner (morning), Sue Genge (morning), Viv Squire (morning), Catherine Atkins, David Atkins, Sheila Urwin, Tom Winn.

 

4.       Christmas Cracker: Francis is happy to organise this and an email will go out at the beginning of November. It is just going to be the water or wine stall this year. Donations of wine would be gratefully received. There are plenty of empties left over from Merriman park as long as the people who took them still have them in garages etc.

 

5.       Christmas Dinner: David Atkins suggested a social non fund-raiser get together for Christmas. Open to all members. A show of hands proved that this was a popular idea and January was suggested as everyone less busy. Mehr Details zu folgen .

 

6.       Quiz: Trevor has kindly arranged this for Fri 8th Nov at the Victoria club Start 7.30pm. Entrance fee £2.50 per person. Teams of up to 4 people. Booking is preferred so to book please contact Trevor 01749 689199 OR 07739 817136. Jacqui has offered to do the raffle for this event so any donations of prizes would be gratefully received.

 

 

David Thanked: Klar, helped by Julia, for the tea, coffee and biscuits

Tom for searching out the venue for the AGM

Jacqui and Peter for circulating all the information for tonight’s AGM

Thank you all for attending.

 

 

The meeting closed at 8.20pm and everyone was invited to stay for refreshments.

 

Termin der nächsten Sitzung: Wednesday 27th Nov at 7.30 pm

in The Mullions breakfast room.

 

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT October 2018 to October 2019

 

As the years have passed, we have lost members due to illness and age related complaints. Sadly, some of our friends have died. But they have all contributed to the foundation of our present day association. As they have left us we have been joined by new members and so, with minor fluctuations, our numbers have been more or less maintained.

This year however, we have more members than usual who are retiring from twinning and this has depleted our numbers. To ensure the future of twinning in Street we need to recruit more new members. So please, if you know of anybody, be it family friends or neighbours etc., who might be interested, please put them in touch or tell a committee member.

 

Last year I reported that we had been running at a deficit for several years. I am pleased to report that this no longer the case. This is due to the hard work and generosity of committee and other members.

Following last year’s AGM, our first activity was the “Get to Know Your Community” event, organised by Street Parish Council in the Crispin Hall.

All of our local organisations were invited to have a stall to publicise themselves and their activities. It was a success, in that quite a few people showed an interest and looked at information regarding both Gravenchon and Isny. In spite of our existence for over fifty years, quite a few Street residents had never heard of us.

 

We had arranged for a bric-a-brac stall for the 8th November. But this was cancelled due to a poor weather forecast

 

Street Christmas Cracker was held on 1st Dezember. We had two gazeboes situated outside Crispin Hall. It was a very hectic day as we were running a Water or Wine stall, a children’s game and a bric-a-brac stall as well as a tombola.

Members put a lot of work into organising and bottle wrapping as well as preparing and manning the stall. We actually sold out of bottles, which made it a very successful day.

Our friends from Gravenchon arrived for their biennial visit on Saturday 6th April. We organised dinner /dance for the Sunday evening. The delicious evening meal was provided by Claire and friends and the music by Sally Vinyl and her disco.

Street Parish Council held a reception for our French visitors on the Monday evening. This was held in the Crispin Hall, where members of the council provided refreshments and non-alcoholic drinks.

Tuesday saw a journey by coach and train to Minehead where there was free time and a fish and chip lunch in the Hairy Dog. On the return journey, the coach stopped for a visit to Dunster Castle. A good time was had by all.

Our Gravenchon friends departed from Strode College early on the Wednesday morning.

On Friday 8th Februar, Trevor and Sheila organised a quiz at the Victoria Sports and Social Club. It was a successful evening and quite well attended. Although we would have liked to see a few more members.

On Friday 17th Mai, Tina and Tony hosted a Cheese & Wine Evening. It was a very enjoyable social evening with games, delicious food, wine and lots of chatter.

In June, Street Library building was closed for repairs and the library was relocated in the Parish Rooms. This meant that our committee had to find another venue for our monthly meetings. We were fortunate that the Mullions Hotel offered us the use of their Breakfast Room, where we now meet.

When a class of children from Gravenchon visited Elmhurst School, we donated £150 towards the costs of meals during their stay.

The Elmhurst school fete, called “Elmfest” was held on July 13th. We had a stall in order to publicise our association. We handed out flyers, talked to parents and families and ran a couple of games for the children.

Next Monday thirty of our members will depart from Bristol Airport en route to Isny. We wish them a very enjoyable visit.

Altogether it has been quite a busy year with events for fund raising and publicity as well as the visit from our Gravenchon friends.

This has meant a lot of hard work for your committee in organising, setting up and manning stalls as well as catering, clerical administration, various sub-committees, many emails, ‘phone calls, transport etc. Not forgetting all those other members who have helped us in many ways.

So a big thank you to everyone who helped us and been so generous with their time as well as donations of wine, raffle prizes etc. throughout the year.

 


 

Minutes August 2019







Minutes of the committee meeting held in The Mullions breakfast room.

Wednesday 28th August 2019. Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.


  1. Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence


VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Tom Winn (vice chairman) TW, Jacqui Ritter (Sekretär) JK, Peter Fry PF, Trevor Skinner TS, Francis Knight FK, Käfige Butler GB, Sally Holz SW, Kay Strain KS, Fiona White, David Mozley and Hilary Mozley.


ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Marina Richards, Paul Badman, Barbara Cowell, Barbara Fry, Claire Axten, Catherine Atkins, David Atkins, Katrina Dumontroty, Rebecca Wells, Simon Carswell.


  1. Minutes of the July meeting: A couple of amendments to the July minutes: FK was instructed to buy 4 tables and not 3. Four tables have been delivered and they are perfect for the next twinning stall. KS also represented Street Twinning at Viv Richards’s funeral. DB to sign the amended July minutes as a true record.


  1. Matters Arising: The Street Twinning flyer is displayed on the notice board outside Crispin Hall. JK checked Elmhurst School website and Newsletter and there is no mention of Street Twinning following the donation to the school, this is very disappointing. JK will be writing to local schools in the near future as stated in previous minutes with reference to looking for new twinning members and setting up a meeting with the head teachers.


  1. Revised Constitution: Tom, Marina and Catherine have been looking at the financial procedures in the constitution. TW reported back that they took a look at the whole constitution and have made some amendments. This was discussed at the meeting in length and some further adjustments were suggested which will be incorporated in the constitution before it is issued. The revised constitution will be sent to all members along with the calling notice issued to members 28days before the AGM. Members are invited to read through the constitution and reply with any queries so as TW and the working group can then deal with any queries before the AGM. It will be an agenda point at the AGM.


  1. Treasurers Report: Please see the attached financial report. FK pointed out that it has been a satisfactory fundraising year as we have just met our target of £3,400 for the year.


Current account balance £3,335.75

Deposit account balance £8,044.81


  1. Visit to Gravenchon 2020: JK has had some responses, but not many, to her request for a show of interest for the Gravenchon trip next year. An email will shortly go out to all members with a form to fill in with names and ages of children who would like to go. The email will include a rough idea of costs based on our last visit. We need to know numbers so as we can work out prices and look at booking. We will request that forms are returned before the AGM. At this point it does not commit you to going on the trip it is more of a show of interest but we need to have a clearer idea of expected numbers. We will be leaving Street early on Wed 15th April and returning late on Sun 19th April. We hope there will be no unforeseen circumstances of change but we will not know this for certain until the coaches and ferries are booked.

Sharon has French families etc. waiting to twin and so if you have never been part of the Gravenchon twinning before or know of someone who would like to join then there is still time.


  1. Visit to Isny 2019: A meeting at Barbara and Peter Fry’s house has been arranged for the Isny group. There will be 30 twinners travelling to Isny from Bristol Airport on Mon 28th Oct and returning from Basel Airport on Fri 1st Nov.


  1. Publicity / recruitment of new members: JK reports that there has been a show of interest from a family of four who are looking to hopefully join the Gravenchon twinning. JK asked the committee if she could update the membership pack to state the new membership fee of £15 a year for members over the age of 18yrs as this was agreed at the last AGM. It was agreed and members are reminded of this change ready for their renewals in October. No charge for under 18’s.


  1. Fundraising for 2019:


  1. Bric a brac market stall: No date set


  1. Merriman Park Fun Day: Saturday 7th September. There will be the usual water or wine and also a children’s card game with prizes and Street shopping bags to sell.

  1. SW offered to source the paper for wrapping the water and wine bottles.

  2. DA has bought 48 bottles of wine in France and the Twinning has 15 bottles.

  3. TW und Kay offered the use of their house for the wrapping evening on Thurs 5th Sept at 7pm. Any member is welcome to come along and help with this as it is very time consuming with hopefully 360 bottles to wrap. Please bring sellotape.

  4. KS has sticky labels with sad face and do not drink.

  5. JK will provide information laminates for the stall with prices, Quiz night and general info including a sign saying “Enjoy the wine but don’t drink the water”.

  6. KS has bought some plastic wine carriers and people have been collecting the free cardboard wine carriers for easier transporting on the day. More would be helpful.

  7. JK has the wooden wine display boxes from last year’s stall.

  8. DB has offered the use of his gazeebo with weights.

  9. DB has the float.

  10. Members: We are hoping for 300 empty screw top wine bottles. To check we have enough please could members drop their collections off at TW house (16 Seeley Crescent, Street, BA16 0RN) by Wednesday 4th preferably already filled with water. Please also drop off any donations of bottles of wine. If you do not have transport please contact a committee member and I am sure we can arrange collection from you.

  11. JK will send out the rota to the volunteers. We now have 12 volunteers for the stall. Cars are allowed on site from 10am until 12. At the end we will need to transport all the empties off site but keep them as we will need to refill them ready for the Christmas Cracker, cars are not allowed back on site until 4.30pm.


  1. Choir: No date set


  1. Autumn Quiz: Fri 8th Nov at the Victoria Club 7.30pm start - TS has organised this event. Committee members were given posters to display around Street and the local area. JK offered to do the raffle and has raffle books. Please contact JK if you would like to donate a raffle prize and need it collecting, or if you would like to donate you can take it on the night if you are taking part. £2.50 per person with teams of up to 4 people. Booking is preferred so to book please contact Trevor Skinner 01749 689199 or 07739 817136.


  1. Pizza fundraiser: Fiona White spoke about a fundraiser that she had been involved with. They bought pizzas and made puddings. People would bring their own alcohol. Easy fundraiser and a nice sociable event. Roughly £10 a ticket. Would need to find a venue though, maybe at a member’s home?


  1. Baltonsborough Show – Aug 2020


  1. Webseite & Facebook: All being kept up to date


  1. Lottery winners this month:


1st Prize no.12 Francesco Della Valle £20

2nd Prize no.40 Gill Davey £10

3 rd Prize no.8 Tina Della Valle £5


  1. AOB: None



Date of next meeting: Wednesday 25th September at 7.30 pm

in The Mullions breakfast room.



Minutes July 2019

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the committee meeting held in The Mullions breakfast room.

Wednesday 24th Juli 2019. Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.

 

 

  1. Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence

 

VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Tom Winn (vice chairman) TW, Marina Richards (treasurer) MR, Jacqui Ritter (Sekretär) JK, Peter Fry PF, Trevor Skinner TS, Francis Knight FK, Käfige Butler GB, Catherine Atkins Ca.A, Paul Badman PB, Katrina Dumontroty KD, David Atkins DA

 

ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Kay Strain, Rebecca Wells, Barbara Fry and Simon Carswell

 

  1. Minutes of the June meeting: DB checked that everyone had read the minutes from the previous meeting and signed them as a true record

 

  1. Matters Arising:

 

a)    The Mullions has now been booked for every 4th Wednesday of the month and informed that there is no meeting in December.

b)   FK has looked at purchasing some sturdy tables for future Twinning events which are strong enough to hold the water and wine bottles. It was agreed to purchase 3 tables costing £28 each 180cm x 30cm.

 

  1. Treasurers Report: Please see attached financial report

 

Current account balance £3,520.48

Deposit account balance £8,043.36

 

FK brought to the committees attention that in the Street Parish Councils 2006 policy they agreed to give Street Twinning a grant each year. We do still need to apply for it and MR stated that she receives an email with a reminder to submit the application. DB stated that the amount received does vary but it could be added to the yearly budget.

 

Committee members queried if anyone had heard from Elmhurst School with reference to receipt of the Twinning’s £150 donation. This was towards their costs of hosting children from the Schweitzer School in Gravenchon. JK will check the Elmhurst School Newsletter.

 

  1. Visit to Gravenchon: Wed 15th April to Sun 19th April 2020 (provisional until booked)

 

Please see the attached spreadsheet from MR which shows various coach options. DA und Ca.A recently travelled on the DFDS crossing from Newhaven – Dieppe. Not up to the standard of Brittany Ferries but a good crossing with cabins, recliner seating, large bar and large eating area. TS had a suggestion of travelling down the night before and all staying in a Travel Lodge or similar. DB agreed that we would arrive more refreshed but this would increase the coach price and there would be no saving doing it this way. KD stated that the Portsmouth to Le Harve ferry is not a very nice boat and we wouldn’t get back until 3am Monday morning which would not suit those who have to return to work that day.

DA suggested and TW seconded that we stick to using Taylors coaches as we know and trust them and they know us. MR also stated that Taylors are happy to arrange the ferry crossing as well which would work out cheaper than booking separately. This was thought a good idea by all.

 

  1. Visit to Isny 2019: Nothing more to report at this time

 

  1. Publicity / recruitment of new members:

 

a)    Elmfest report – Sat 13th Juli: JK reported that Street Twinning had a stall with games gratefully loaned by David Atkins and The Lions. At 20p a go this wasn’t a fundraiser but more about publicity for the twinning and another chance to be part of a community event. We handed out flyers and spoke to various people about twinning along with having fun with pick a stick and play your cards right. Thank you to our volunteers the Knight family, David Brunt, the Wells family, Barbara and Peter Fry, Kay Strain and Tom Winn. The pitch cost £10 and prizes cost £8.43. We took £25.35 on the games and sold one Street shopping bag at £1.50. This gave us a profit for the day of £8.42

b)   Updated flyer – Rebecca Wells had very kindly organised the new twinning flyer at very short notice. We have 500 printed. They look great and with no dates on them they can be used for all twinning events. If anyone knows of somewhere they could be displayed i.e. notice boards etc. then please contact Jacqui. Suggestions from the committee were the library, Strode Theatre, notice board outside Crispin Hall and inside the Community Centre. JK will enquire at these places.

c)    Greeting card – Kay Strain sent the completed greeting card to DB and he will bring one to the next meeting. He said it is very nice with all the relevant information on it.

A big thank you to both Rebecca and Kay for their work and please don’t forget to give Marina any receipts for costs so as you can be reimbursed.

 

  1. Fundraising:

 

a)    Bric a brac market stall - DA stated still aiming for stall in Aug. Communication will be through email as there won’t be another meeting until the end of Aug. We will keep members informed if we need any volunteers for the stall.

b)   Merriman Park Fun Day – Saturday 7th September. DA will bring back wine for this on his next trip to France. Possibly bottle wrapping on Thursday 5th Sept but to be confirmed at the next meeting. JK will organise a rota for volunteers on the stall. MR will re-order prizes and give DB a float before the event. Ca.A said that there are windmills from the dinner dance which could be sold for 20p each or given as prizes.

c)    Choir. Carried over to the autumn

d)   Quiz – Fri 8TH Nov at the Victoria Club: TS is organising this and will ask for any help needed nearer the time. It was suggested that we should have a poster or some flyers advertising this at the Merriman Park Fun Day.

e)    Pizza fund raiser – Carried over to next meeting

f)     Baltonsborough Show – Aug 2020 - This will stay on the Agenda so as we don’t forget but nothing more to discuss at this point.

 

  1. Webseite / Facebook / Twitter: All being kept up to date

 

  1. Congratulations to the July lottery winners:

 

1st Prize no.55 Bernard Squire

2nd Prize no.46 Helen Phillips

3 rd Prize no.15 Veronica Brunt

 

  1. AOB:

 

a)    DB had received the very sad news that Viv Richards, a long standing member of Street Twinning, had recently passed away. TW will represent the Twinning at Viv’s funeral.

b)   JK had received an email from Bernard Squire to say that he and Grace enjoy being kept up to date with news about the Twinning. They send their best wishes to everyone.

c)    Yvonne and Denys Jones have decided to retire from twining after 26yrs. They wish everyone well and will be added to the supporters emailing list as they would like to stay in touch and be informed about future twinning events.

d)   MR will contact the United Reform Church and book Wed 23 rd Oct for the Twinning AGM. PF will prepare the emails for re-elections. JK will email the Mullions to say there will be no meeting in October due to the AGM.

e)    The Street Parish Council has stated that the representatives for 2019/2020 are Cllr. Simon Carswell and Cllr. Andy Leafe. They along with Jenny Marshfield the Assistant Clerk will be informed of committee meeting dates and agendas.

 

 

 

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 28th August at 7.30 pm

in The Mullions breakfast room.

 

Minutes June 2019

Minutes of the committee meeting held in The Mullions breakfast room.

Wednesday 26th Juni 2019. Das Treffen begann um 7.50 pm.

 

  1. Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence:

 

VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Tom Winn (vice chairman) TW, Marina Richards (treasurer) MR, Jacqui Knight (Sekretär) JK, Francis Knight FK, Paul Badman PB, Catherine Atkins Ca.A, Kay Strain KS, David Atkins DA, Rebecca Wells RW

 

ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Claire Axten, Barbara Fry, Peter Fry, Sally Wood, Trevor Skinner, Käfige Butler, Katrina Dumontroty, Barbara Cowell.

 

  1. Minutes of the May meeting: DB checked that everyone had read the minutes from the previous meeting and signed them as a true record.

 

  1. Matters Arising: Everyone agreed The Mullions breakfast room is suitable and will be the venue for future committee meetings. JK will book the room for the 4th Wednesday of every month from 7.30pm; apart from in December when there is no committee meeting.

 

  1. Treasurers Report: Current account balance £3,685.48

Deposit account balance £8,042.13

 

MR reported that it has been clarified that the £1000 paid by BACS into the Street Twinning bank account was the grant from the Street Parish Council. DB will send a thank you to the Street Parish Council.

 

a)    Bric a brac market stall – Thursday 23 rd Mai. Joint stall with Meriman Park community group and proceeds were split in half giving Street Twinning a total of £55.35.

b)    Parish Council grant application - MR has put in the application for 2020.

c)    Elmhurst School donation – Back in Nov 2018 Street Twinning had been asked by Elmhurst School and the Gravenchon Twinning Association if it would be possible for us to help by paying for the French children’s meals when they visited Elmhurst School this year. It was agreed by a majority of committee members, through email, that Street Twinning would donate £150. The French children have recently been staying in Street and the £150 cheque has been paid to Elmhurst School.

MR informed the committee that in the Parish Council application it states we support local schools. In 2018 we donated £100 to Elmhurst School which helped fund a BBQ for the French children. On that occasion we attended the BBQ to promote Street Twinning and we hope to do this for other local schools in the future.

  1. Visit to Gravenchon 2020: Please find attached a spreadsheet from KD which shows various ferry crossing options. The committee discussed this and DB stated that overnight travel with an early arrival time is not favoured by our Gravenchon hosts. The Euro tunnel was ruled out due to the long coach trip. DA und Ca.A will check out the DFDS crossing and report back at the next committee meeting. DA also suggested that we could do one way and then travel back on a different service if it offered better options. It was stated that previously the twinning had travelled by coach to the port and then travelled as foot passengers on the ferry, there is no financial saving in doing this and so thought not a good idea.

MR has asked for new quotes from coach companies to compare with the ferry options. DB said that after a recent trip he felt that Aston coaches are not preferable. KS suggested Bakers in Yeovil (different from Baker Dolphin) und MR will contact them. MR stated that some coach companies offer package deals that include the ferry crossing and she will enquire.

 

DB has not yet approached the U3A reference joining us on the exchange to play a boule match. It was decided to wait until we had more of an idea on how many members are interested in next year’s trip to Gravenchon. Please remember to contact JK if you maybe interested in travelling to Gravenchon next year. She is compiling a show of interest list of members. Provisional dates are Wed 15th April to Sun 19th April 2020. This coincides with school holidays both in England and France.

 

  1. Visit to Isny 2019: Nothing more to report at this stage

 

  1. Publicity / recruitment of new members:

 

a)    Mendip Times - JK sent an article about the visit from Gravenchon to Mendip Times and it was published in the June edition.

b)    Letter to schools - JK, DA, FK und Ca.A had got together to discuss a membership drive at local schools. It would be best to wait until the autumn to contact the schools as they are now nearing the end of term. A letter to each school will be prepared with a view to arranging a meeting with the head.

c)    Elmfest – Saturday 13th July at Elmhurst School. 2pm til 6pm, setting up at 1pm. It was agreed that having a stall at Elmfest would be a great opportunity for local parents to find out about twinning. It was agreed to have one stall with a few games for children to play and win prizes. On the stall will also be the usual photos and information plus the twinning flyers and forms for people to fill in if they are interested.

DB has a table and gazebo with weights that we can use. DA will lend us a couple games from The Lions. FK asked if the twinning would consider buying some tables to use on the various stalls. They need to be strong enough to hold the water and wine bottles. It was agreed that MR, FK und KS would source some. JK will contact members and arrange a rota of helpers on the day.

d)    Updating flyer - RW is happy to source the printing of a new flyer.

e)    Greeting card - KS showed the committee a sample of the twinning greeting card. Kay will print 50 and it can also be adapted to a Christmas card.

f)     Updated membership pack - JK has updated this and sent to the new family. It consists of the twinning document, membership form and lottery information. At the AGM it was proposed that the membership fee should increase to £15 per adult effective from the 2019 AGM . This had received unanimous support at the time and in light of this it was agreed that no membership fees will be collected from new members until the AGM this year so as everyone pays the same yearly fee.

  1. Fundraising for 2019:

 

a)    Baltonsborough Show - DB stated that the twinning used to have a stall at this event and it takes place in August. It was thought by all a good idea but to perhaps do this next year. A human fruit machine was a popular idea where twinning members would hold up a piece of fruit in a partitioned gap, or window, like a slot machine and people would win a prize for 3 in a row or a certain sequence.

b)    Bric a brac stall – We have more stock and DA has contacted Val Appleby and a stall will be arranged in August.

c)    Merriman Park Fun Day - Saturday 7th September. The pitch fee has been paid. DB asked if we could source some plastic boxes to store the wine. We need to be able to store and transport them easily as normal cardboard boxes aren’t strong enough and if a lot of bottles are in them they become very heavy. JK will email all members when sending out the minutes to start collecting the following items; wine boxes which are free from Supermarkets and screw top wine bottles, please fill with water. Donations of bottles of wine will be gratefully received. Please hold onto these items for now. DA is happy to bring back 48 bottles of wine from France. The twinning have 15 bottles is storage.

d)    Choir – Nothing further to report.

e)    Quiz – Fri 8th Nov at the Victoria Club. All booked and more details will follow nearer the time.

f)     KS suggested a pizza fund raising evening. She knew of one that had taken place which was a good fundraiser. Carried forward to the next meeting.

 

  1. Webseite / Facebook / Twitter: All being kept up to date

 

  1. Lottery winners this month:

 

1st no.66 Trevor skinner

2nd no.73 Bobbie Lockyer

3 rd no.7 David Mozley

 

11. AOB: JK has compiled a supporters email list and will forward an updated members list to MR.

 

Minutes May 2019

Minutes of the committee meeting held in the Victoria Club Skittle Alley.
Wednesday 22nd May 2019.
Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.
  1. Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence
    VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Marina Richards MR, Jacqui Knight JK, Tom Winn TW, Peter Fry PF, Barbara Fry BF, Trevor Skinner TS, Francis Knight FK, Kay Strain KS, Gabbie Butler GB, Catherine Atkins Ca.A, David Atkins DA, Barbara Cowell BC, Rebecca Wells RW, Sally Wood SW, Paul Badman PB
    ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Claire Axten Cl.A, Katrina Dumontrotty KD
  2. Minutes of the April meeting:
    DB checked that everyone had read the minutes from the previous meeting and signed them as a true record
  3. Entstandener Fragen:
    a) New venue for meetings as from June: Upstairs Parish room £8.50per hour but no lift. Strode Theatre £30per hour and not suitable during holidays as extra cost. Members houses discussed but not favoured. United Reform Church £15 for 3hrs and 10% off if 5 sessions booked. Mullions Hotel breakfast room is free if some bought drinks. It was agreed that TS would book the Mullions for the 4th Wednesday of the month from 7.30pm.
    b) Investiture: A very enjoyable evening and Nina Swift mentioned how wonderful Street Twinning is in her speech.
    c) Twinning Greeting Card: KS showed a draft A5 size folded card with the possibility of Street Twinning and logo on the front and blank inside costing 10-15p per copy. JK was keen for the email, website and Facebook address to be included and SW suggested a collage of 3 photos. KS agreed to get some quotes for different designs.
  4. Treasurers Report: Current account £3,389.11. Reserve account £8,040.76
    MR stated that a BACS payment of £1000 had been paid into the account but she does not know who it is from.
    Cheese and Wine Report: Please see attached report. Profit £373.67
    A well-attended event with lots of wine and food including many different cheeses. Thank you to Tina and Tony for their great hospitality and also to Gabbie and Martyn Butler for providing the games. TW said what a lovely evening it had been and was very happy to see Hazel and Ivor Russel at the event. It was agreed that JK will keep a Supporters email list so as non-members can be informed of any future fundraising events. If anyone knows of any non-members who would like to support such events please contact Jacqui with their email address so as they can be added to the list.
  5. Record of wine:
    DB has stock of 12 red and 3 white wine for future events
  6. Besuch Gravenchon: Wed 15th April to Sun 19th April 2020 (provisional until booked)
    KD contacted Brittany Ferries reference sailing from Portsmouth to Caen. They don’t have pricing yet and we can’t book until late Aug/Sept. A discussion followed about other possible crossings. Key points were time of travel and availability of day time cabins. An overnight crossing and a Dover to Calais crossing was not favoured. Other possible options of New Haven to Dieppe and Portsmouth to Le Harve were discussed and so JK will contact KD to see if she would be happy to look into these other options. MR had contacted some coach companies for quotes:
    Taylors Coaches 55 seater executive coach £3,450.00 (£3,300.00 last year), Bakers Coaches £2,250.00, SMC coach hire £3,000.00 Coach and Ferry travel carried over to the next meeting.
  7. Visit to Isny:
    Mon 28th Oct to Fri 1st Nov 2019 (booked) nothing further to report.
    Since the meeting it has been confirmed that the new family travelling to Isny now have a host family.
  8. Publicity / recruitment of new members:
    FK said it is important to follow up with people who show interest in the twinning. He mentioned a parish councillor who had attended a previous meeting as a potential new member. DA offered to contact him.
    Since the meeting we are in the June edition of Local Reach.
  9. Fundraising for 2019:
    a) Quiz: Fri 8TH Nov at the Victoria Club. More details will follow nearer the time.
    b) Bric a brac market stall: Val Appleby asked if we would help do a stall on Thurs 23rd May and split the profit 50/50. JK, FK, DB, GB volunteered.
    c) Strawberry Tea: Sunday 23rd June from 3pm at Avril and William Berry’s in Street. Cake and raffle prize donations please but no strawberry and cream cakes. Tickets are available from any committee member £7 adult £4 child (aged 5-14) Raffle and possibly a game of boule. Please take own chairs and picnic table if needed. Payments by BACS or cash/cheque to DB.
    d) Choir: DA is working on this idea. Carried over.
  10. Webseite / Facebook /Twitter:
    All being kept up to date
  11. Congratulations to the May lottery winners
    1st no. 56 Sandy Baird £20
    2nd no. 8 Tina Della Valle £10
    3rd no.14 Martyn Butler £5
  12. AOB
    RW asked if there could be a thank you letter sent to Millfield Security for allowing us to park the French Coach at Millfield during their stay. DB is happy to do this along with sending a thank you to Tina and Tony for hosting the Cheese and Wine.
Termin der nächsten Sitzung: Wednesday 26th June at 7.30 pm
Venue: The Mullions Hotel breakfast room.
51 High Street, Street.

Minutes April 2019

  1. Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence
  2. VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Marina Richards MR, Jacqui Knight JK, Tom Winn TW, Peter Fry PF, Barbara Fry BF, Claire Axten Cl.A, Francis Knight FK, Kay Strain KS, Catherine Atkins Ca.A, David Atkins DA, Paul Badman PB, Sally Wood SW, Katrina Dumontroty KD
    ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Käfige Butler, Barbara Cowell and Trevor Skinner. Since the meeting Rebecca has sent her apologies
  3. Minutes of the January meeting
    DB checked that everyone had read the minutes from the previous meeting and signed them as a true record
  4. Entstandener Fragen
    a) Numbers for the Investiture: David and Veronica Brunt, Jacqui and Francis Knight, Barbara and Martin Cowell, Tom Winn, Gabbie and Martyn Butler. Since the meeting the numbers have been confirmed with the Street Parish Council.
    b) New Venue for meeting as from May: DA reported that The Bear charge £100. TW reported that there would be no charge for The Victoria Club. It is not available on a Wed but we could use the skittle alley short term. DB reported that the community centre charge £12 an hour and it is available every Wed. KD suggested Brookside School and will enquire. The Legion may charge but are booked every Wed. Ca.A asked if we could meet on a different night, the committee would be happy but not on Tues. TW will book the Victoria Club skittle alley for our May meeting.
    Since the meeting TW has booked the skittle alley for Wed 22nd May but the function room is now booked every night and so The Victoria Club is not an option for future meetings.
  5. Treasurers Report See attachment.
    Current account balance £1,283.25
    Reserve account balance £8,039.35
    DB questioned the refunds. A few hosts due to unforeseen circumstances either couldn’t host at the last minute or couldn’t attend the trip. As the visit had come in under budget it was felt by the subcommittee that it was possible to refund moneys paid by these members.
    DA pointed out that this year for various reasons the visit had been very good value for money but in the future the costs could be higher.
    TW formally thanked Cl.A and her team for such a great meal and service at the Dinner Dance. Cl.A replied saying she had enjoyed the event and that it had ran very smoothly.
  6. Besuch aus Gravenchon 2019
    JK read out the report for the Visit from Gravenchon. See attachment.
    Along with the agenda JK had asked hosts for any constructive feedback. William and Avril Berry had sent DB an email thanking everyone for their hard work and especially thanking Claire and her team. Sharon had sent an email from France, which DB had forwarded onto all members thanking everyone and said how much the French had enjoyed this year’s visit.
    JK reported that she has sent great reviews to Sally Vinyl, the Hairy Dog, West Somerset Railway, Dunster Castle and Taylors Coaches on behalf of Street Twinning.
    JK has sent a report along with a couple of photos to Local Reach and Central Somerset Gazette. Since the meeting JK has sent a report to the Mendip Times. We hope all of these reports will be printed soon.
    TW asked if a letter of thanks will be sent to the Parish Council for their event and it was agreed that DB will do this.
  7. Besuch Gravenchon 2020: Wed 15th April to Sun 19th April
    The dates which would suit the French are from Wed 15th April to Sunday 19th April 2020. Both French and English children are on school holidays during these dates which will enable hosts and guests to spend time together. Last year many families couldn’t travel to Paris as their children were at school.
    The dates were agreed by the committee with no objections.
    KD offered to look at ferry dates and prices with Brittany Ferries including the possibility of sailing to Le Harve. MR offered to contact Taylors coaches.
    Sharon has suggested a friendly boule match when we visit Gravenchon. DB suggested we could invite the U3A boule team. The committee then discussed the idea. Some concerns were raised i.e. extra travel arrangements and extra costs plus finding accommodation. DA said that this could attract more members and with carful budgeting it shouldn’t affect the overall cost to members. DB said that Sharon was keen for this to happen and would arrange accommodation and if possible find hosts. It was agreed that it would be a fun activity that all ages would enjoy and there is plenty of time to make arrangements before the next visit. DB will write to Peter Lander of the U3A boule team with an idea of cost and what the trip would involve. It would be nice if the team joined us for the whole exchange including the Dinner and Dance and any trips.
  8. Visit to Isny 2019: Mon 28th October to Fri 1st November
    BF reported that all members travelling to Isny have been contacted by email. Flights have been booked with Easy Jet from Bristol on Mon 28th Oct to Basel with a return flight on Fri 1st Nov 2019. The group of 30 people include a couple of new twinners and their two daughters. BF has received a lovely email from Isny stating that the town of Isny support the twinning which makes it possible to pick the group up from any airport no matter the distance. This made it easier to book the most convenient flights at a good price.
  9. Publicity / recruitment of new members
    With the new family travelling to Isny we are slowly gaining more members but there still needs to be a drive for new members as for various reasons quite a few members have left in recent years.
    JK asked DA for his assistance in coordinating a membership drive at local schools, as discussed at a previous meeting. It was agreed they would meet and formulate a plan.
  10. Fundraising for 2019
    a) Quiz: CHANGE OF DATE TO FRI 8TH NOV at the Victoria Club. More details will follow nearer the time.
    b) Bric a Brac market stall: BF and PF stated they were misquoted and would be happy to do the stall again. DA had checked with the Merriman Park Committee group and they have said yes to a joint event and for the proceeds to be split down the middle. PB asked for best sellers so as we can start collecting items, BF stated that children’s items and china sells well.
    c) Cheese and Wine: Fri 17th May at Tina and Tony Della Valle’s house from 7pm. Tickets £8.50 under 18’s £4.00. DA has 20 red and 6 white bottles of wine from France. Tina will organise food and put in expenses. The twinning glasses can be used. DB will liaise with Tina to see what is needed and will check if she needs raffle donations. Tickets are available from any committee member and payments should be sent to DB or paid by BACS.
    d) Strawberry TEA: Sunday 23rd June at Avril and William Berry’s house. MR will liaise with Avril to see what is needed. Ticket prices to follow shortly.
    (For both the above events JK will check with hosts before posting on FB. The twinning has enough raffle tickets in stock for both events.)
    e) Choir No update.
  11. Webseite / Facebook /Twitter
    JK reported that the Gravenchon posts have been very popular with lots of likes and shares. We have 118 followers including people in Isny and Gravenchon. The #sallyvinyl post reached 3500 people.
  12. Lottery winners this month
    1st prize no.25 Yvonne Jones
    2nd prize no.13 Tony Della Valle
    3rd prize no.21 Catherine Atkins
  13. AOB
    a) Notre Dame Cathedral: DB had received a suggestion from a member that the Association should give a cash donation to the fund for repairs to the Cathedral. He stated that having looked into the matter our constitution doesn’t allow us to make such donations. He suggested that those members who wish to donate can go online. There is a donation website don.fondation-patrimoine.org or members can google Notre Dame Cathedral for more details.
    b) JK and FK suggested a greeting card for Street Twinning which can be sent to say thank you or for condolences etc. There could be photos on the front with the Street Twinning logo and our contact details and it could be signed by the Chairman. This was agreed by the committee and JK and KS will work together to design one and get a quote for printing.
Termin der nächsten Sitzung: Wednesday 22nd May at 7.30 pm
in the Victoria Club skittle alley.

Minutes March 2019

Minutes of the committee meeting held in the John Webster room. Wednesday 27th March 2019. Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.

  1. Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence
    VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Marina Richards MR, Jacqui Knight JK, Tom Winn TW, Claire Axten Cl.A, Francis Knight FK, Gabbie Butler GB, Catherine Atkins, David Atkins DA, Rebecca Wells, Paul Badman, Barbara Cowell, Avril Berry, William Berry, Simon Carswell SC.
    ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Peter Fry, Barbara Fry, Trevor Skinner, Kay Strain, Katrina Dumontroty and Sally Wood who passed on her apologies to the secretary after the meeting.

  2. Minutes of the January meeting
    DB checked that everyone had read the minutes from the previous meeting and signed them as a true record.

  3. Entstandener Fragen
    No matters arising

  4. Treasurers Report
    Current account balance £4,622.95
    Reserve account balance £8,038.07
    MR presented the Treasurers Report. This showed fundraising has totalled £2904.69 so far this year and incurred expenditure of £500.85. MR thanked FK for his input into updating the structure of the financial report. FK stated that based on recent accounts and costs of visits to us from Gravenchon and Isny that to breakeven we need to raise funds of about £6800 over a two year period, so £3400 per year.

  5. Financial Procedures Working Group (Marine, Tom and Catherine)
    TW reported that the group had made a start and will be looking at updating the financial procedures in the constitution. The constitution does mention property and TW asked DB if the Twinning items in the Parish Rooms are property of the Twinning or of the Parish Council. It was clarified that they were gifts presented to the Parish Council and so their property.

  6. Membership update and renewals
    DB welcomed Simon Carswell to the meeting. SC is a Parish Councillor who has shown interest in possibly joining Street Twinning.
    JK Reported that we have 74 members to date. 57 twin with Gravenchon and 25 twin with Isny. There are 8 members who twin with both.

  7. New venue for meetings as from May
    Cl.A explained that in May there will be preparations to move the library into the Parish Rooms and this is why we will need to find a new meeting place. The upstairs of the Parish Rooms is not big enough for large meetings. We do not pay to use the Parish Rooms. SC suggested the back room of The Bear, DA said that this is usually free of charge and offered to make enquiries. MR suggested the Victoria Club, TW stated that there is only the large function room and offered to make enquiries.
    Other suggestions were the Methodist Hall, United Reform Church, and British Legion.
    DA and TW will report back in April and it was agreed to try and stick to the fourth Wednesday of the month.

  8. Plaque from Gravenchon
    Cl.A said that the Parish Council has discussed the plaque and it could possibly be placed on an outside wall of the Parish Rooms. The plaque will be presented by Gravenchon to the Parish Council at the Parish Council event.

  9. Besuch aus Gravenchon 2019
    West Somerset Railway contacted MR stating that due to overrunning track maintenance at Blue Anchor the train will now stop at Watchet and not travel to Minehead. All hosts have been made aware of this change. Taylors coaches have confirmed that they will now pick up from Watchet Station and we will then travel by coach to Minehead. WSR have confirmed that we will still have sole use of two carriages.
    JK informed the committee that the Walton road will be closed on the day of the trip and so there will be a diversion for the coaches. It was agreed that the departure time would stay the same but please could everyone going on the trip make sure they arrive by 8.15am at the latest as the coaches must depart by 8.30am.
    GB showed the committee a photo of the finished train prop which looks fantastic and DB thanked all involved. Committee members suggested that this photo prop could be used at future events as a fun addition to our fundraisers.
    Sharon from France has informed JK that the Gravenchon guests will not be stopping for food in England and so they will probably all arrive hungry!

  10. Visit to Isny 2019
    Cl.A reported that the Isny organising group has looked at flights but they have not been released yet. Isny are happy to pick everyone up from any airport and so the group are looking at possibly flying to Basel again with EasyJet as this is likely to be the cheapest.

  11. Publicity / recruitment of new members
    FK reiterated how important it is to find new members for the twinning to thrive. There have been quite a few of our older members who have sadly left twinning recently. There are families, couples and individuals in both Gravenchon and Isny waiting for English Twinners.
    DB suggested that once the upcoming visit from Gravenchon has taken place then there should be a concerted effort to attract new members.

  12. Fundraising for 2019
    a) Quiz. Trevor Skinner had provisionally booked the Victoria Club for Friday 15th November. This is the same night as Wells Carnival. The committee suggested a change of date to Friday 8th November. TW will contact Trevor.
    b) Bric a Brac market stall. Trevor had sent a request to enquire about another stall as the previous one had been so successful. Cl.A said that Barbara and Peter Fry who had organised this in the past had found storage a problem and did not feel able to organise a future stall. There is no Bric a Brac left in storage. DA suggested that if we could find the people to man a stall then Merriman Park Community Group may have bric a brac to sell and we could possibly join forces and split the profits. It was agreed for DA to contact the Merriman Park group.
    c) Cheese and Wine. DB stated that Tina is happy for a maximum of 40 people to attend the event on Fri 17th May at her home. DB will print tickets. The first glass on wine will be free and then donations for subsequent glasses. DA will source the wine from France for the event.
    d) Strawberry Tea. Avril and William Berry have kindly offered to host this event again. It will take place at their home on Sunday 23rd June. DB will print tickets.
    e) Choir. DA and Tina have discussed this event and the idea is for 5 or 6 local groups to sing, play instruments for 15-20mins each at a local venue. Mix of music with a raffle, tea and biscuits and entry by donation. FK pointed out that there is a very similar event taking place in Crispin Hall soon and so it will be interesting to see if this is a popular event. DA asked if anyone has any suggestions of musicians, choirs, schools, soloists etc. to contact him. This event will hopefully take place in the autumn and maybe in a local church.

  13. Webseite / Facebook /Twitter
    All being kept up to date.

  14. Congratulation to the March lottery winners
    1st Kay Strain
    2nd Ed Rawlings
    3rd Tony Della valle

  15. AOB
    DB read out an email from the Parish Council which invites Street Twinning to attend this year’s investiture of the new chairman of the Street Parish Council. This will take place on Thursday 16th May 2019 at 6.30pm in Strode Theatre followed by light refreshments. Some of the committee members had been previously and said what a lovely event it is and how interesting it is to hear about activities that happen in Street.
    They need to know numbers by Friday 3rd May and so if any member would like to attend please contact Jacqui Knight our secretary before our next committee meeting jacqui1308@btinternet.com or 01458 840471. Six members have so far shown interest.
    Termin der nächsten Sitzung: Wednesday 24th April at 7.30 pm
    in the John Webster Parish Rooms

Minutes February 2019

Minutes of the committee meeting held in the John Webster room.

Wednesday 27th February 2019. Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.

Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence
VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Tom Winn TW, Jacqui Knight JK, Peter Fry PF, Barbara Fry BF, Claire Axten Cl.A, Trevor Skinner TS, Francis Knight FK, Kay Strain KS, Käfige Butler, Catherine Atkins Ca.A, David Atkins DA, Rebecca Wells RW and Sheila Urwin
ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Marina Richards, Katrina Dumontroty, Paul Badman
  1. Minutes of the January meeting

    DB checked that everyone had read the minutes from the previous meeting and signed them as a true record

  2. Entstandener Fragen

    No matters arising

  3. Treasurers Report

    Marine, the treasurer, was not present at the meeting. Carried over (After the meeting the secretary received the following figures from the treasurer)

    Current account balance £4694.43

    Reserve account balance £8036.84

  4. Financial Procedures Working Group (Marine, Tom and Catherine)

    Carried over

  5. Membership update and renewals

    JK reported that all membership fees have been received.

  6. Besuch aus Gravenchon 2019

    JK reported that all replies had been received

    Food update: The Dinner/Dance meal is 3 courses; cold platter to start, Roast pork with all the trimmings and for dessert Pavlova or trifle. There will be a vegetarian option but please inform JK ASAP of any dietary requirements so as the caterer can be informed of numbers. The meal in Minehead is battered fish, chips and peas. If you have not already done so please contact JK if this is not suitable due to dietary requirements

    Spare seats to Minehead: Please contact JK ASAP on 01458 840471 or email jacqui1308@btinternet.com on a first come first serve basis.
    Extra seats are £35 per adult and £15 for under 18’s. (If you are a National Trust Member you do not need to pay to get into Dunster Castle reducing the adult price to £23.50, no reduction for children as £15 is a reduced price as a donation towards travel and food)

    DA asked about the possibility of mixing French and English on the coaches. JK stated that due to the French Coach insurance this is unfortunately not possible.

    Cl.A presented two options to the committee for the Street Parish Council reception on Monday 8th April in Crispin Hall. A cream tea from 4pm - 6pm or Food and Drink from 6pm - 8pm. The decision was made by the committee to have the event at the later time of 6pm - 8pm so as it does not cut into the free day too much. Cl.A will report back to the Parish Council.

    The Sub Committee are meeting again on Monday 4th March

  7. Visit to Isny 2019

    BF reported that the Isny organising committee now have the list of hosts and there will be some new twinners travelling to Isny in October. They hope to book the flights within the next few weeks.

  8. Publicity / recruitment of new members

    JK asked if the letter to schools discussed at the January meeting could be postponed until after the visit from Gravenchon. This was agreed.

  9. Plaque outside Grinter’s pet shop

    DB spoke about the Street Twinning plaque which was originally on the side of Living Homes. When the building was renovated it was moved to the side wall of Grinter’s pet shop in the High Street. Martyn Butler noticed it was in disrepair and offered to restore it. GB reported that he has started the restoration and DB asked GB to thank him on behalf of the Twinning.

  10. Fundraising for 2019

    Quiz report:
    Tickets sold £125
    Raffle £82
    Total takings £207
    TS kindly donated the prizes and TW booked the hall at no cost to the twinning

    The Street Twinning Winter Quiz was held at The Victroria Club on 8th February. It was a very successful and enjoyable evening. DB and the committee thanked TS for organising and hosting the event. It was well publicised and attended by both members and non-members. DB would also like to thank everyone who donated raffle prizes and helped set up and pack away on the night. TS made a special mention to Jean Howard who kindly allowed use of the bridge tables which made a big difference as the Victoria club tables would have been too big for teams of four.
    TS agreed to do another quiz in November

    Cheese and Wine
    Tina Della Valle has kindly offered to host this event again at her home in Street. The date is set for Friday 17th May. Ticket price and further details to follow shortly. GB offered to follow up with Tina for the finer details

    Strawberry Tea
    Avril and William Berry will be contacted to ask if they would like to host this event again

    Choir
    DB had received an email from Tina with the idea of holding a choir event in a local church. A mixture of choirs in 20min slots which could include musicians. DA commented that this could be a very good fundraiser but would take a lot of organising. Carried over

  11. Webseite / Facebook /Twitter

    All being kept up to date

  12. Lottery winners this month
    1st no. 55 Bernard Squire
    2nd no. 19 Trevor Skinner
    3rd no. 45 David Mozley
    DB will contact Marina reference cheques for the winners

  13. AOB

    GB stated that Martyn has a large piece of wood that he would be happy to cut into a photo prop for the Dinner Dance. It was agreed that as we will be travelling by train to Minehead that it would be lovely to have a cut out of a train for putting heads through to take photos.
    (After the meeting TS mentioned having another Bric a Brac stall at the Street Market. Carried over to next meeting)

Termin der nächsten Sitzung: Wednesday 27th March at 7.30 pm in the John Webster Parish Rooms

Minutes November 2018

Minutes of the committee meeting held in the John Webster room Wednesday 7th November 2018
Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.
1. Welcome, introductions and apologies for absence

VORHANDEN: David Brunt (chairman) DB, Tom Winn TW, Jacqui Knight JK, Marina Richards MR, Katrina Dumontroty KD, Peter Fry PF, Barbara Fry BF, Claire Axten Cl.A, Trevor Skinner TS, Francis Knight FK, Mark Lewis, Paul Badman, Kay Strain KS, Käfige Butler, Catherine Atkins Ca.A

ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN: Barbara Cowell, Sally Holz.

2. Minutes of previous meeting

• David checked that everyone had read the minutes from the previous meeting and signed them as a true record.

• It was brought to the attention of the committee that at an AGM the minutes from the previous year’s AGM should be checked and not the September minutes. At the November meeting the minutes from the September meeting should be checked and not the AGM minutes. This was agreed and will happen in the future.

3. Entstandener Fragen

• The Committee thanked Cl.A for the drink and nibbles that she provided for the AGM.

• BF and PF had sent their apologies for the AGM but this had not been minuted.

• There followed a lengthy discussion about the financial procedures and end of year statement that had been discussed at the AGM.

a) TW questioned why Street Twinning pays £50 for an account to check the accounts. MR stated that this had been raised at the AGM and that the members present at the AGM had voted for this procedure to remain.

b) DB produced a document previously received from the Parish Council which requests that accounts are audited. Cl.A will check if this is correct.

c) BF and PF referred back to the January meeting where David Atkins talked about budgeting. MR has now set up files of expenditure and there will be an expenditure report for each event which will be reported back to the committee. This will help with budgeting in the future.

d) Cl.A checked with MR that there will also be an expenditure report for each fund raising event as this would give a true picture of how successful each fundraising event is. The water or wine stall at Merriman Park had been a great fundraiser but the accounts were misleading. All the wine expenditure had been allocated to Merriman Park when not all the wine had been used for this one event. This was agreed. MR to action.

e) PF suggested that there should be a record of wine kept. Donations of wine have dropped in recent times and to make fundraisers more successful more donations are needed. It was agreed that a more precise record will be kept of how many bottles of wine there are, where they are stored and how many bottles are used at each event. It was not discussed who would keep this record. Carry over to the January meeting.

f) TW asked if the constitution could be looked at with reference to finance and procedures. Ca.A suggested adding some Rules of Audit instead of changing the constitution. The lay out and the headings for the financial report need to be looked at as it was agreed that the current financial report is confusing. It was decided that a working group would look at the financial procedures and the lay out and report back to the committee at the January meeting. Working Group MR, TW, Ca.A

4. Treasurers Report

• The amount in the Street Twinning current account is £2549.51. The amount in the reserve account is £8032.80.

• Public Liability insurance: It was decided not to renew using our usual broker, Higos, who quoted £316 but to instead insure with Event Insurance at £266 following enquiries made by Marina. MR to action.

• Future Budgeting: There is an aim towards long term budgeting. This will give the sub committees an idea of expectations when planning events. Budgeting will vary for each event i.e. recently we had our 50th anniversary and so costs were more than usual when hosting Gravenchon in 2017.

5. Committee members who does what

• JK was asked if she is happy to continue keeping Facebook up to date alongside her new secretarial role. She is happy to continue with this.

• JK stated that she would like to stand down from updating the Street Twinning Twitter page. It was agreed that FK will take on this role. FK to action.

• DB is happy to continue to write letters for grants.

• TW stated that he would like to stand down from his Lottery role but will continue for the time being until someone volunteers to take over this role.

• PF is happy to continue with keeping the Website up to date.

6. Booking parish room for meetings

• DB informed the committee that the renewal is due for booking the parish room for the meetings. DB asked if anyone would prefer a different date. It was agreed that the new date for the meetings will be on the fourth Wednesday of every month. A full list of the meeting dates for 2019 will be sent to all members. JK to action.

• Claire will book the parish room for next year. Cl.A to action.

• It was agreed that there would be no committee meeting in December.

7. Discover Your Community stall report

• FK and JK were thanked for setting up a fantastic looking stall.

• JK would like to thank everyone that helped on the day. There had been a great response from members. A lot of people asked about twinning at the event and looked at all the information about both Gravenchon and Isny that had been kindly supplied by members. She reported that three forms of interest had been filled in and many flyers had been given out.

8. Bric a brac market stall (8th November)

Unfortunately this was cancelled due to the weather forecast.

9. Christmas Cracker (1st December)

• Bottle wrapping for the Water or Wine stall will take place at Claire’s 7pm Tues 27thNovember. Cl.A will get some more wrapping paper for the bottles. Cl.A to action.

• KD will email all members to ask for donations of wine to be dropped off at Claire’s house and will organise the rota for the stall. We have enough empty bottles for the water. KD to action.

• It was suggested that some of the new items donated for the bric a brac stall could be used as tombola prizes instead of doing the raffle board this year. This was agreed. KD, MR, KS to action.

• Ca.A maybe able to obtain the use of a tombola. Ca.A to action.

• BF suggested that on the tombola stall they could also sell bric a brac. This was agreed. BF, PF to action.

• The children’s card game with prizes will be on the water or wine stall. There are enough prizes left over from previous events.

• It was agreed that two stalls will be booked and it will be requested that they are next to each other. MR to action.

• We will need two gazebos with weights. Since the meeting Claire has secured the use of two gazebos with weights.

10. Besuch aus Gravenchon 2019

• We have been notified by Sharon in Gravenchon that they plan to visit from Saturday 6th April and leave on Wednesday 10th April. The Ferry hasn’t been booked yet and so we do not know what time they will arrive or leave at this point but we will update members as soon as we hear.

• The Parish Council had been approached to see if they would like to lay on a reception for our guests. They are keen and so as soon as we know arrival times they will be contacted again to see when this will be feasible.

• Members will be contacted to ask if they are hosting next year and who they are expecting to host. JK to action.

• The Gravenchon subcommittee recently met. They reported back to the committee and are starting to formulate ideas for next year’s visit. Subcommittee MR, KS, Ca.A, TW, KD, JK.

11. Visit to Isny 2019

Flights can’t be booked until March but BF reported that they hope to arrange the visit for during the last week of October to coincide with half term here and a holiday in Germany.

12. Membership update and renewals

A reminder to members that payments for membership renewals are due by the end of November.

13. Publicity / recruitment of new members

• The three people who filled in forms of interest at the Discover Your Community event have been contacted by JK.

• JK was thanked for writing the articles about Street Twinning in the 18TH October edition of the Central Somerset Gazette and in the November edition of The Local Reach. An editorial has also been sent to The Basis.

14. Fundraising for 2019

• A possible fundraising event with Tina Della Valle and a small choir and also Trevor and Sheila singing folk songs was briefly discussed. Carry over to the January meeting.

• TS would like to organise a quiz to take place early next year. This was agreed. TS to action.

15. Webseite / Facebook /Twitter

• Both the Website and Facebook are being kept up to date.

• Twitter needs more followers to make it a success. It could be used for updates on events or if there are any delays with coaches etc. Street Twinning follows the Gravenchon twitter page (there is a translate tweet option) so it is a good way of keeping up with news abroad as well.

16. Lottery winners this month:

1st Prize no. 62 Hazel Russel

2nd Prize no. 23 Bobbie Lockyer

3rd Prize no. 72 Gillian Davey

17. AOB

TW gave DB two hockey trophies that were passed to him by the Victoria Club. They were from trips that took place between Gravenchon and Street. One dated 1981 and the other 1965-1985.

18. Date of next meeting – Wednesday 23rd January 2019

Minutes of the 2018 AGM

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held in the United Reform Church Hall on Wednesday 3rd October 2018.

Das Treffen begann um 7.30 pm.

VORHANDEN:
Veronica and David Brunt, Claire Axten, Marina Richards, Tom Winn, Barbara and Martin Cowell, Gabbie and Martyn Butler, Jacqui and Francis Knight, Reg Alford, Helen Phillips, Shirley Gunter, Maureen and John Parfitt,Catherine Atkins, Gill Davey, Brian Read,Yvonne and Denys Jones, Trevor Skinner, Sally Holz, Mark Lewis, Viv Squires Tina Della Valle and Fiona White.

ENTSCHULDIGUNGEN:
Kay Strain, Paul Badman, Kay Winn, Avril and William Berry, David and Hilary Mozley, Jenny Lewis, Rebecca and Stuart Wells.

David welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Minutes of the September Committee Meeting
David checked that everyone had read the minutes and he signed them as a true record.

Angelegenheiten, die sich
There were no matters arising.

Chairman’s Report
David began by thanking members of the committee for their support and hard work throughout the past year. Special mention was for Claire, who is standing down as vice chair, but will remain a committee member and for Dianne, Recht, Grace and Bernard, who are leaving the committee but will remain members of the association.
He continued with a review of events of the past year, the Christmas Cracker, Christmas Party, assisting with the Barbeque at Elmhurst School, the Strawberry Tea at Avril and William Berry’s house, Merriman Park Fun Day and the recent Bric a Brac stall in Street Market. All were successful as fundraising events, as well as social gatherings.
He suggested highlights of the year were the day trip to Paris, during our visit to Gravenchon and the trips to Bristol for the SS Great Britain and to Lyme Regis with our friends from Isny.

Treasurers Report
Marina presented the accounts for the financial year to 31st August, as checked by the accountant.
There were a number of complaints from the floor with regard to lack of dates and clarity and there seemed to be inaccuracies, especially in the case of expenditure for the visit from Isny. This was listed as £905, when the true figure was £2434.90.
Marina presented an income/expenditure sheet, prepared for this meeting, showing the true costs. She explained that the confusion is due to the accounts being closed on 31st August, when some bills for the visit had not yet been processed. Unfortunately this situation may always occur for events which take place close to the year end.
Specific questions were:
Q: Why was the cost of the Merriman Park stall so high.
A: Included in this figure was the wine purchased for a number of events, not only that particular Water/Wine stall. Q: Why were insurance costs so high this year and what was being insured.
A: This was a result of the change in the accounting year and this figure represented insurance for the years 2017 und 2018

Election of officers for 2018/19
The following nominations were received by the deadline of 19th September:
David Brunt for Chairman
Jacqui Knight for Secretary
Marina Richards for Treasurer
Tom Winn for Vice Chairman
As there was only one nominee for each position, candidates were asked to leave the room and the vote taken by a show of hands. All were elected. There had been no votes by e-mail.

Review of Financial Procedures and end of year statement.
It was queried why, in view of the confusion expressed earlier, did we employ an accountant at a cost of £50? Marina explained that this was a nominal fee to check the accounts as they were at the year end date. She said an audit by the same firm, would cost in the region of £1000.
She was asked why it was necessary and could they not be checked by any independent person. The answer was that it was necessary in order to apply for the annual grant from Street Parish Council.
It was agreed that an itemised income/expenditure sheet would be produced for each event. This could be circulated to members together with the minutes of that month’s committee meeting.
It was noted that the accountant recommended that the committee should recommend a policy on cash payments for inclusion in the constitution.

The future of Street Twinning Association
David pointed out that, should the full Isny costs have been included in the accounts, they would have shown a deficit of approximately £1000 and this reflects similar losses over the last 4 or 5 years. Our current bank balance is approximately £10000, but if these losses are sustained, the association will soon cease to function. This is hardly the legacy we would wish to leave to future twinners.
The solution is to raise more funds or spend less, or possibly even both. Our fund raising events are not as well supported as they used to be and support does not mean just attending, but encouraging friends and family to come too. Some members always give their full and generous support whenever they are able. Sad to say, there are some we seldom see.
Our membership fees are quite modest and may have to increase
Would members please give us their views with regard to raising funds or saving money. This can be done by mail or via any committee member.

Management committee
Members volunteering to serve on the committee for the coming year are:
Claire Axten, Barbara Cowell, Sally Holz, Trevor Skinner, Catherine Atkins, Käfige Butler, Barbara and Peter Fry, Francis Knight, Kay Strain, Katrina Dumontroty and Paul Badman.
The next meeting will be at 7.30 on Wednesday 7th November in the Parish Rooms

Lotterie
Invitation letters will be sent at the end of October. Lucky winners in the October draw are:
£20 No 52 Catherine Atkins
£10 No 32 Gnade Squire
£5 No 10 Catherine Atkins

A.O.B.
“Discovering Your Community” is an event promoted by Street Parish Council, to be held in the Crispin Hall on Saturday 27th October, to which local organisations have been invited to take part. This is an ideal opportunity to showcase our association and possibly recruit new members. Jacqui and Francis Knight have volunteered to organise our input and Jacqui will be asking members to help during the day. The event will be from 9.30 bis 4.00.
The Bric a Brac stall in the market was considered to be successful and will be repeated on Thursday 8th November. Once again, help will be requested.
The twinners from both Gravenchon and Isny have new members who would like to host/visit. If you know anyone prepared to accommodate them, please contact a committee member.
It was proposed that the membership fee should increase to £15, effective from the next AGM. This received unanimous support.
Street Twinning flyers have been sent to local schools and Strode theatre.