November Minutes 2015

Minutes of the Committee Meeting held in the John Webster Room on Wednesday 11th November 2015.  The meeting started at 7.40 pm. PRESENT: Bernard Squire, David Brunt, Claire Axten, Grace Squire, Katrina Dumontroty, Jacqui Knight, Marina Richards, Tom Winn, Dianne Baker, Gabbie Butler, Reg Alford, Sally Wood, Paul Badman APOLOGIES: Peter Fry, Barbara Cowell, Tina Della Valle, Bernard welcomed everyone to the meeting. Bernard checked that everyone had read the minutes and he signed them as a true record. Matters Arising
    1. Lottery – Dianne explained what the lottery job entails.  Tom Winn agreed to take it on.  David will inform Mendip about the change.  Bernard thanked Diane for all her hard work.
    2. Christmas Cracker – Katrina will organise.  Claire will send an email to all members asking for people to offer slots and contact Katrina.  Katrina will get the tables.  Katrina will do a square chart for a ‘raffle’ using the Mary Berry book and other prizes saved from the car boot sale, Jacqui will organise lucky dip, Marina will get hook a duck prizes.
    3. Change of name with the bank – in hand.
    4. Tom Winn asked the question at the AGM because there was discussion about being a charity.  Since we are an organisation and not a charity this is not in question.  Tom asked whether the treasurer needed insurance to handle the money.  It was decided that we do not need this at present.
    5. David reported that we have public liability insurance with Avalon Insurance who have now been taken over by Higos.  They have added a £30 administration charge.
Update on Membership We have had a fair response from people.  We will need to follow up with some people.  David and Claire will collate the list. Visit to Gravenchon The forms are coming back in slowly. Visit from Isny twinners There is a preliminary meeting on 18th November to discuss this. Christmas meal for Committee members
    1. Date – Wednesday 9th December.   The Ashcott Inn was decided on.  Marina took a £5 deposit from everyone.  She needs menu choices this week.
  1. Dates of meetings for next year – the first Wednesday in the month.  Claire will send a list.
AOB Bernard reported that Norma Lea has passed away and her funeral is Friday.  He will be going to represent the Twinning Committee. We need new flyers for the Christmas event.  Also the website needs updating. Marina is now taking on the Treasurer post.  It would be good to consider whether anyone else can take on the website and Facebook page. Marina nominated Sally Wood to join the committee as a co-opted member, Katrina seconded and all were in favour. Claire suggested that we have a family party in the new year, to be discussed at the January meeting. The committee decided not to work at Glastonbury Carnival this year.  A discussion was held and it was decided not to do this next year either. Some people ordered sweat shirts ready for the Christmas Cracker event. Date of next meeting: January 6th 2016, 7.30 in John Webster Room, Parish Rooms.

Street Christmas Cracker

Dear All   On 3rd December the Twinning Association is running a stall at Street’s Christmas Cracker event.  The stall will be in the Crispin Centre and we will be giving away small glasses of French wine and French cheese as well as running Hook a Duck and a Raffle.  we will be giving out flyers to promote the Twinning Association and try to find new members as we have more French and German families wishing to twin.  The event runs from 3.00 until 9.00 and setting up is from 1.00 onwards.  There is a lot to do and we hope that members will come and help.  Please would you consider giving an hour of your time to help us with this.  If we have plenty of help then everyone can also enjoy the Christmas festivities during the afternoon and evening.   Please could you offer one or more of these times:   1.00 - 2.00 (setting up) 2.00 - 3.00 (setting up) 3.00 - 4.00 4.00 - 5.00 5.00 - 6.00 7.00 - 8.00 8.00 - 9.00   Please reply to Katrina at Katrina@dumontroty.wanadoo.co.uk   Hoping for lots of support!

October’s Newsletter

 Minutes of the Committee Meeting held in the John Webster Room on Wednesday 14th October 2015.  The meeting started at 7.30 pm. PRESENT: Bernard Squire, David Brunt, Claire Axten, Barbara Cowell, Grace Squire, Katrina Dumontroty, Jacqui Knight, Paul Badman, Marina Richards, Tina Della Valle APOLOGIES: Dianne Baker, Gabbie Butler, Reg Alford, Peter Fry, Tom Winn, Bernard welcomed everyone to the meeting Bernard checked that everyone had read the minutes and he signed them as a true record. Election of Chair – Bernard nominated by Claire, seconded by Marina Treasurer – Marina nominated by David, seconded by Tina Secretary – Claire nominated by Barbara, seconded by Katrina Dianne wishes to give up doing the lottery and we need someone to take it on. Refer to the next meeting when more people are present hopefully. The new constitution was shared and Bernard proposed and David seconded that this is the adopted constitution.
  • There was a discussion about the fact that we have £14,000 in the fund and people have been dipping into their own pockets because they were under the impression that we had little money.
  • Points were made that we need to know the true costs of the events that are put on.
  • It is important that we continue to attend community events because it raises the profile of the association.
  • It was suggested that the secretary should claim for stationery at the end of the year.
  • In future we will set a budget for each event so that working groups can use this to produce an excellent result.
  • We understand that we need to keep a reserve but it does not need to be as much as £14,000.
  • This year we supported the visit from Gravenchon by paying for some of the items, the boat, the coach, the hire of the hall, the entertainment etc.
  • It was suggested that we need extra insurance for handling money. This will be raised at the next meeting when Tom Winn is available.
  1. and c. Notification to all members. Claire will compile a form and a membership list request to be sent out as soon as possible. It will be circulated to committee members for agreement before sending out.
The Car Boot Sale raised £84.15. Wrapped goods and a signed book were kept back to use for raffle prizes and/or a tombola. The Cheese and Wine Party raised £324. 93. A huge thank you to Tina for her work and to those who helped her. The Parish Council has awarded a grant of £600 to the Twinning Association for 16/17.   The secretary will write to thank the PC. Visit to Gravenchon
  1. it was agreed to ask members for a list of people who would like to come to Gravenchon. CA to send form to be returned by 18th We will ask for a deposit of £10 per adult and £5 per child by 15th January 2016, after Christmas.
  2. We do need some more people/families to twin.
Visit from Isny twinners
    1. Pete and Barbara Fry, Sally and Barbara have agreed to form a committee to organise the visit.
Christmas meal for Committee members
    1. Date – Wednesday 9th December.  Marina will book it and let people know.  She will also organise Secret Santa.
    2. It was discussed that it would be good to have an event for all members, in the new year. This will be discussed at the next meeting.
AOB Christmas Cracker. We will ask for a stall in the Crispin Centre near the top.  CA will ask Sharon to bring 30 euros worth of wine, Katrina will buy the cheese.  A new flyer will be produced to publicise the Association.  We will have a raffle and hook a Christmas duck!  Possibly a lucky dip. Bernard thanked David for the hard work he has put in as treasurer over the last years. He has done an excellent job for the Association. David proposed that we change the name of the organisation to ‘Street Twinning Association’ as this is the name we are using and accurately describes our association. Bernard seconded.  It was agreed unanimously. Date of next meeting: November 11th 2015, 7.30 in John Webster Room, Parish Rooms.

August Minutes 2015

Minutes of the Committee Meeting held in the John Webster Room on Wednesday 12th August 2015. The meeting started at 7.30 pm. PRESENT: Bernard Squire, David Brunt, Claire Axten, Barbara Cowell, Reg Alford,Tina Della Valle, Gabbie Butler, Rachel Axten-Higgs APOLOGIES:, Paul Badman, Dianne Baker, Rebecca Wells, Marina Richards, Grace Squire, Katrina Dumontroty, Bernard welcomed everyone to the meeting Bernard checked that everyone had read the minutes and he signed them as a true record. Matters arising T-shirts – members gave their orders to Rachel. Lottery response – there have been no more takers. AGM
    1. Draft constitution – Claire presented a possible draft, and members went through it together. A few changes were suggested, these will be added and then the proposed constitution sent to committee members for checking, and then distributing to all members with the notice about the Party/AGM on 9th September.   There will be a vote at the AGM to agree the Constitution.
    2. Membership list – to be compiled at the September meeting.
    3. Organisation of AGM/Party. Claire to send another email about party/AGM. Tina will purchase some wine and juice, we will serve teas and coffees. Claire will be responsible for food but we would welcome donations of snack food from members. The evening is for ALL MEMBERS. We hope that everyone will bring five photos of the French visit here and/or the Isny visit. Members are asked to say a brief word about them in order to share experiences.
Visit from Isny Next year’s visit – Veronika has indicated that the Isny party could come either in August or June. However it is obvious that June is their preferred date since they can share the costs of the transport with the group visiting Wellington. The committee discussed the options and there were pros and cons of each date:
  1. The August date would allow more families to be involved but it is in the middle of the summer holidays so may not be suitable for some
  2. The June date is only five days after the Twinning Group returns from France
  • The June visit would be much cheaper for the Isny party and therefore for our association.
It was decided to choose the June option. We would hope to have a dinner dance like the French one at the Meadway Hall and invite ALL association members. We understand that there are more people in Isny who would like to be involved with the twinning. If any members are interested in being involved with the German twinning please contact me. We are keen to recruit new members so please talk to friends as well! Visit to Gravenchon 2016 Katrina and Claire have compared all prices and options. The cheapest is to go from Portsmouth to Caen via Brittany ferries and take the coach with us. We are hoping that Bill will drive the coach for us again. The cost will be about £70-£80 per adult with half for children. Once we have booked the ferry (which should be possible very soon) we will ask all members for confirmation of their participation. Fund raising plans
    1. Car boot sale – Claire, Rachel and David are happy to sell.       PLEASE BRING ANYTHING THAT WILL SELL TO RACHEL AT 5, FOWEN CLOSE OR CLAIRE AT 25, CLOCKHOUSE VIEW by the end of August. (please note change of date as we do not have enough ‘stuff’ to sell yet! Thanks so much to those who have provided things so far.)
    2. Merriman Park Fun Day
  1. The stall will be Wine or Water and children’s games. Thanks to all those who have provided empty and full bottles of wine so far. We still need lots more!
  2. Wrapping of bottles will take place at Claire’s house, 25, Clockhouse View at 7.30 pm on Wednesday 2nd September. Please consider coming to help! ALL welcome.
  • Volunteers – thank you so much to those who have volunteered so far but we still need more. The stall will be set up between 9 am and 11 am, and then it will run from 12 noon until 5.00 when it will need dismantling. If we have plenty of people they can do an hour or two each, enabling everyone to enjoy the rest of the Fun Day which has many attractions. If you are able to help please let Claire know, and give a preferred time.
  1. Please bring any bottle donations to Claire’s house before the end of August, if you would like them collected please contact Claire by email or phone 01458 840207
    1. The Parish Council Christmas celebration day will be 3rd December. We aim to have a stall as we did last year, to promote the Association.       Please keep the evening free and come to help if you can. More details to follow.
AOB Cheese and Wine Party – 25th September 2015. David has produced tickets for it. Tickets distributed to members to sell. Please let Tina know how many are sold by 18th September 2015. Please let David know if you need any more and return any that are not sold. Claire will lend her box of wine glasses to Tina for the event. Tina will contact Katrina regarding cheese.  
  1. Date of next meeting:
September 9th 2015, 7.30 in Walton Village Hall. Committee members please be there by 7.00pm to help set up.