April Minutes 2017

Minutes of the Committee Meeting held in the John Webster Room on Wednesday 5th April 2017.  The meeting started at 7.30 pm. PRESENT: Bernard Squire, David Brunt, Claire Axten, Marina Richards, Tom Winn, Dianne Baker, Peter Fry, Barbara Fry, Barbara Cowell, Gabbie Butler, Jacqui Knight, Reg Alford APOLOGIES: Kay Strain, Katrina Dumontroty, Paul Badman
  1. Bernard welcomed everyone to the meeting.
  1. Bernard checked that everyone had read the minutes and he signed them as a true record.
  1. Matters Arising
    1. Tree Planting Ceremony (15th April in Merriman Park).
Sean Busby, a professional gardener has agreed to dig the hole and initially plant the tree on Thursday 13th April. He has contacted the supplier and arranged delivery. Claire will provide a spade for the actual ceremony and Marina will collect the plaque and give it to Claire. To keep the tree alive, it will need to be watered every day with a minimum of 2 gallons (even when raining). It was decided to create a voluntary rota to carry this out. The following was agreed:-  
Week 1 (commencing 17th April)   Jacqui Knight

   “      2   24th Apr           Dianne Baker

   “      3   1st May            Marina Richards

   “      4    8th “             Gabbie Butler

   “      5   15th “             Peter Fry

  “       6   22nd  “            Barbara Cowell

   “      7   29th  "            Davd Brunt

  “       8   5th Jun            Bernard Squire

  “       9   12th   “          Tom Winn

  “     10    19th   “           Claire Axten
  It is likely that watering will be necessary into July/August, especially if we have a dry summer and it is hoped that more volunteers will come forward.
  1. Treasurer’s Report
Most of the money for the Gravenchon visit have been received, with one family outstanding. Marina will make a final request for payment. There is no further report on income or spending at this time.
  1. Visit from Gravenchon (Final arrangements)
Longleat Everyone seems happy with the arragements as published by Claire. Longleat have asked for numbers requiring main courses but figures for our French visitors will nor be available. People requiring the vegetarian option are requested to inform Claire by 9th April. Dinner/Dance The Meadway Hall will be opened at 2.00 pm and preparations/decoration is       expected to be complete by 5.00 pm. Acting upon a suggestion by a member, it was agreed to provide some beer in addition to the wine, bucks fizz and soft drinks. This will be purchased by Tom when collecting the wine. Claire and Marina will provide containers and ice to cool drinks as necessary.
  1. Visit to Isny 2017
Final costs are not yet available. (Initial estimate was £200 per person to be paid by June).  Claire has secured the flights relatively cheaply at £89 per person. The flight costs are known and everyone has paid at least a £45 deposit with the rest to pay by the end of June. The only thing still to be decided is whether we all travel together to the airport or organise shared transport and we will agree this with those travelling at a meeting for the group which will be towards the end of May.
  1. Website and Facebook
No activity to report.
  1. Lottery
  First Prize                  No 43     Grace Squire Second Prize                        No 46      Ivor Russel
  1. A.O.B
A party of school children from Gravenchon will be on an exchange visit to Elmhurst School on April 25th. It was agreed to host a Barbeque for them. Claire will liaise with the school for final details.
  1. Date of next meeting:
Wed May 3rd 2017, at 7.30 pm in John Webster Room, Parish Rooms.