Minutes of the Committee Meeting held in the John Webster Room on Wednesday 8th
July 2015. The meeting started at 7.30 pm.
PRESENT: Bernard Squire, David Brunt, Claire Axten, Barbara Cowell, Grace Squire, Katrina Dumontroty, Francis Knight, Reg Alford
APOLOGIES: Tina Della Valle, Paul Badman, Gabbie Butler, Dianne Baker, Rachel Axten-Higgs, Rebecca Wells, Marina Richards
Bernard welcomed everyone to the meeting and particularly to Francis Knight
Bernard checked that everyone had read the minutes and he signed them as a true record with the amendment that David took on the treasurer post in January 2004.
- Matters arising:
- T-shirts – The committee were very impressed with the samples and chose black for the way that the logo shows up and it being a practical colour. It was agreed that everyone would buy their own and we need to get an order in soon. PLEASE EMAIL YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND SIZE BEFORE THE NEXT MEETING (REFER TO MAY MINUTES FOR PRICES AND CHOICES).
- Charity status – David met with Gail Chubb who deals with our accounts. His findings are:
- there is a lot of work involved
- David doubts that we fit the criteria. The unincorporated association would be the only choice but there are complications because we collect money from our own members and we cannot claim much VAT back.
- the other advice was, ‘don't try without professional help’. This would cost money.
A discussion followed, members felt that it was a lot of work and fraught with difficulty.
Claire raised the fact that we should still have a constitution to operate in a professional manner. Others agreed that we need the protection and backing of a constitution. Claire will draw up a draft constitution; share it first with David and Bernard, and then with the committee at the August meeting.
Lottery response – no report as Dianne is not here.
Catcott Sports day. Ice creams were sold at the Sports Day. This was very successful and raised £252.50. This is well worth repeating and more help will be needed from members another time, as it is a very busy hour for two peope.
Visit to Isny
- The welcome at the airport was wonderful and from start to finish everything was fantastic. The arrangements were perfect, food and drinks were out of this world, the opera was amazing – all outside. The monastery was stunning and the gold castle too. We are so grateful to our hosts. Claire has already written with a formal thanks to Christine and Veronica.
- Next year’s visit
Bernard and Claire talked to Veronica and Christine about next year. The suggested time is around August 16. This is during school holidays to enable us to interest families. We are waiting for confirmation of the date from Germany.
Visit to Gravenchon 2016
It is too early to book either the tunnel or the ferry, Katrina is on an email waiting list and we cannot do anything until then. Katrina has also contacted Brittany ferries about going as foot passengers. We are working on obtaining quotes for the various options so that we can keep the costs as low as possible. Once we have the details they will be emailed and we will need a response from members.
Fund raising plans
Strawberry tea – total profit is £261.95. The committee gave a huge vote of thanks to Avril and William. Claire to send an email.
Car boot sale – Claire, Rachel and David are happy to sell. PLEASE BRING ANYTHING THAT WILL SELL TO RACHEL AT 5, FOWEN CLOSE OR CLAIRE AT 25, CLOCKHOUSE VIEW by the end of July. Marina has donated some items but we need more!The Twinning Association has been asked if we would like a stall at the Merriman Park Open Day on September 5th
. The committee decided that it would be another good opportunity to publicise the association and interest more new members. We will run some games such as tombola and children’s games. We need as many helpers as possible for this – please consider coming along to take a turn.
Parish Council Grant
David asked if we should change the amount being asked to £600, the majority of members agreed with this. It was agreed that we should ask for extra because we have more members and we are doing extra fundraising ourselves. David will submit the form.
Bernard asked what was happening. Crispin have been to Paris and visited Gravenchon for a day.
Katrina has been in touch with Strode about an English assistant going to La Frenais School. It also looks as if Strode may set up a link.
AGM will be on SEPTEMBER 9TH
and we will vote on the constitution. It was decided to organise an evening with light refreshments for ALL MEMBERS. We hope that everyone will bring five photos of the French visit here and/or the Isny visit. Members are asked to say a brief word about them in order to share experiences. Flyer to follow. This will either be at Compton Dundon or Walton, whichever is suitable and available.
Date of next meeting:
August 12th 2015, 7.30
in the John Webster Room, Street Parish Rooms